$325 for AAI Members $360 for Non-Members.
Begins with a reception and painting demo from 6-9 pm on Wednesday, Sept. 24.
Some Things You Will Learn
- What must be done before you even start a painting
- How to draw and paint accurately in large scale from your photos and life
- How to accurately determine the relative proportion for large size painting, working from ANY size photo
- How to crop your subject and create powerful compositions
- How to use a camera and photography for paintings
- How to color correct for poor lighting situations
- Professional commercial art techniques for controlling your drawing quality and accuracy
- Unique design challenges for larger pieces
Mike is a Signature member of the Pastel Society of America (PSA), Plein Air Painters of New Mexico (PAPNM), Pastel Society of New Mexico (PSNM) and American Plains Artists (APA). He is frequently an art show judge and has received many awards and honors for his work throughout the country. Mike was a featured artist in the book, 100 Ways to Paint People and Figures, published in 2004 by “International Artist Magazine.”
A Systematic Painting Process
You will learn about Mike’s DiVine Setup©, a 7-step systematic approach to painting based on classic principles of art which are logical, learnable, memorable, and which free the artist to be more spontaneous but in control of the painting.
You will learn about how to plan your painting so that you can be confident that it is good at the beginning rather than waiting to the end to see if it “works.”
- Tuition is $325 for members & $360 for non members. A $100 registration deposit is required.
- When we receive your deposit, you will be sent a notice of confirmation and a materials list. Class size is limited, so don’t delay.
A Word About Skill Levels
This is a beginner-friendly workshop! Just call for a preparatory phone consultation with Mike if you have had little or no experience painting. You will learn how a systematic approach to painting will help free you from not being familiar with your materials or technique. I recommend pastel rather than oil or acrylic for beginners. Since so much of the information in the workshop is new, even for experienced painters, it will be a challenging learning experience for all. Your opportunities to learn are enhanced by being around others of varying skills.
If you are an intermediate or advanced painter, you may use your favorite medium, oil, pastel or acrylic, but we recommend that you limit your choice to only one medium for the workshop. Mike’s DiVine Setup© systematic painting procedure applies to any medium, but class demos will be in either oil or pastel.
Contact Mike or Cynthia at (505) 473-1098 or E-mail email@example.com; OR contact Spunky Harrel at the Amarillo Art Institute: (806) 354-8802, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may sign up for this workshop on line by simply logging on to the Institute’s website at http://amarilloartinstitute.org/ or call Spunky Harrel at (806) 354-8802.
Mike enjoys teaching, and will do everything he can to insure a good learning situation for you!
After graduating from art school, Mike was the art director of an advertising agency and of a large commercial printing company; he operated an independent film animation studio and was owner of a commercial art and photography studio before starting his full time fine art career. During his over 35 years of commercial and fine art experience, he has developed the speed and accuracy that are essential in successful painting and will show you how to do it, too!